As we reached the top floor of the NCP car park in Soho, London, clutching our cassette tape invitations for the House of Holland show, we were greeted by a '70s carpet covered catwalk, the second clue that Henry Holland’s Autumn/Winter '13 collection would be full of retro nostalgia.
Squished onto a heaving FROW were House of Holland regulars, Jamie Winstone, Daisy Lowe, Pixie Lott and Nicola Roberts, who bopped along in their seats as the dance soundtrack began to boom and we were transported back to the eighties, the autumn of 1989, to be precise and the end of the second summer of love and the acid house scene.
Loud swirling interior-inspired prints kicked off the show, first with a sharply tailored pink trouser suit look, complete with clashing blue printed shirt, followed by a knee-length shift dress, and full skirted fifties green frock, and then skirt with matching green tights!
As the colorful looks filed out it wasn’t long before cocktail hour took hold and crystal embellishment was centre stage- a pencil skirt hem adorned with cocktail glasses, and sweatshirts and knitwear covered with sparkling Hs and sequin cigarettes!
Henry’s fifties, seventies and nineties decade mash-up was much like his fan base- young, fun and ready to party!
Five things we loved…
1. The glossy tortoiseshell caps, belts and shoes.
2. The layered, head-to-toe blue look, complete with embellished collar.
3. The martini glasses- on earrings and the purple pencil skirt especially.
4. The sweatshirt and fifties skirt combo- an oldie but a goodie!
5. The trip down memory lane (even if, like Henry, we weren’t around the first time!)
6. The eyewear! Soo fabulous you’d never want to take it off!