It’s the end of the week, it’s still January (for another day at least) and all we want to do is sit infront of the TV and eat comfort food. So here’s a little recipe you might want to try tonight, Layered Potato, Grana Padano Cheese and Prosciutto di San Daniele Bake, a deliciously-moreish Italian dish that's the perfect cure-all for this cold, gale-lashed weekend we're about to have.
The key ingredient is Grana Padano cheese, a delicious semi-aged hard Italian cheese that is subtler in flavour than Parmigiano (and we think nicer), and less nutty and salty. This recipe also suggests you use Prosciutto di San Daniele, a fine italian ham that is aged for a minimum of 16 months, but you can also substitute with any good quality prosciutto. This recipe serves six, and the left-overs taste even better the next day.
Grana Padano Cheese is available in Waitrose, Marks and Spencer, Harvey Nichols, John Lewis, Sainsbury’s and Tesco, as well as various independent delis. For more information about Grana Padano Cheese, please click here
Prosciutto di San Daniele is available in Tesco, Partridges, Harrods, Harvey Nichols, Fortnum & Mason, John Lewis, Waitrose, Sainsbury’s and Selfridges. For more information about Prosciutto di San Daniele, please click here
HOW TO MAKE LAYERED POTATO, GRANA PADANO CHEESE AND PROSCUITTO DI SAN DANIELE BAKE
1.2kg potatoes peeled and sliced into 1cm slices
450ml double cream
250g crème fraiche
1 small white onion sliced
2 garlic clove finely chopped
Salt and black pepper
100g Grana Padano Cheese, grated
100g Prosciutto di San Daniele, thinly sliced and chopped
- Par-boil the potatoes until just cooked.
- Mix the double cream with the crème fraiche and set aside.
- Sweat onions and garlic for around five minutes in 100g butter until translucent
- In an oven-proof dish make a layer of potatoes, top with onion and garlic, and season with a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Pour some of the cream mixture over the top and make an additional layer with Prosciutto di San Daniele and Grana Padano Cheese.
- Repeat this procedure and continue to build up three layers in this way, finishing with a layer of Grana Padan Cheese.
- Bake in the oven at 160?C/320°F for 45minutes - 1 hour. The top should be golden brown and bubbling at the edges.