Rainbows are not only very jolly things, but this summer they are de rigueur on the catwalk, with everyone from Chanel to Prada taking a palette of primary colours as their emblem. But they are not just on trend on planet fashion, in the baking world they are everywhere too, with hundreds of blogs dedicated to creating the big bright cakes. It's the perfect thing for a birthday, a bake sale - or simply to bring in and impress your office colleagues. Here, in the last of our Cake O’Clock series, Lady Bunny of bakery Bunny Little has created her own very flamboyant and fabulous version of a Rainbow Cake, which also celebrates the recent Pride in London in style. Enjoy!
BUNNY LITTLE'S RAINBOW CAKE
Ingredients for the Rainbow Cake:
1000g butter softened
1000g caster sugar
2tspns vanilla extract
1000g self-raising flour
Food colouring; red, orange, yellow, green, blue, indigo, violet (enough to colour the mixture to your liking)
Ingredients for the Chocolate Icing:
500g butter soft
500g icing sugar
500g dark (at least 70% cocoa) chocolate melted
Cocoa powder to taste (Estimate 50g)
For the Rainbow Cake:
1. Cream together the soft butter and sugar until the mixture is light and fluffy
2. Slowly add the eggs, whisking well between each one
3. Add the vanilla extract and mix well
4. Fold the flour into the mixture
5. Divide the mix into 7 bowls and add a different colouring to each - one a colour from the rainbow
6. Pour each mix into an 8" lined and greased baking tin and cook at 180*C for 30mins, or until a skewer comes out clean
7. Set aside and allow to cool in the tins
For the Chocolate Icing:
1. Whisk together the soft butter and icing sugar until light and fluffy
2. Pour in the melted chocolate and whisk again
3. Add cocoa powder until the desired level of chocolateyness is reached.
1. Working from the bottom up place the violet sponge onto a plate and top with a little chocolate icing, then place the indigo sponge on top and repeat up through the rainbow.
2. Place the stack of sponges in the fridge for half an hour to firm up.
3. When the cake is completely chilled remove from the fridge and cover completely with the chocolate icing.
4. Sprinkle the iced cake with heart shapes and your Rainbow Pride cake is ready to join the party providing layers of scrumptious fun for all your friends!
Find Bunny Little at 9 Campdale Road, Tufnell Park, London N7 0EA. Opening times: Monday to Saturday 7:30am-5:30pm, Sunday 8am-5:30pm. They take orders and deliver inside London.