Arranging your wardrobe around erratic summer weather is a nightmare. And when the centigrade soars, it’s all too easy to bust out the beachwear and hit the city in something entirely inappropriate. A strapless semi-sheer maxi dress and flip-flops doesn’t make a winning work outfit. So in order to combat the weird muggy weather we’ve been blessed cursed with, we’ve had a chat with New Zealand-born New York-based designer Rebecca Taylor.
Rita Ora and Kate Middleton are both Rebecca Taylor fans
Rebecca has spent a lot of time in the UK (and, as an aside, our best Brit export Bowie is her ultimate icon) so she understands the grrreat Great British climate very well. Add that to the fact that she has one of the most varied A-list followings under the sun – from Rita Ora to Kate Middleton – and we reckon if anyone can dish out some handy and simple summer style advice, it’s her.
1. ‘Always carry a lightweight jacket with you for when warm days turn into colder nights,’ explains Rebecca, ‘I love this White Summer blazer that is right on trend and a classic that can be worn season to season.’
Rebecca's Summer Blazer and Poppy Delevingne decked out in Rebecca Taylor head-to-toe
2. ‘Feel comfortable but still look great in matching printed pant suit.’ Be sure to make it lightweight and breezy like this star print blouse and silky trousers below.
3. ‘RMS lipstain adds instant glamour to your look, I always carry it in my bag!’ Perfect for when a full face of makeup will only melt...
4. ‘Studded sandals are perfect for summer in the city, they are chic and comfortable all at the same time.’ As far a sandals go, simple but sturdy will take you a long way.
5. ‘Add a splash of colour – to really stand out and brighten up your outfit,’ says Rebecca, ‘This sleeveless blouse is great with city shorts, jeans and skirts.’