Having put dresses on the backs of Hollywood’s great and good over the past 10 years, Alice Temperley knows a thing or two about what does and what definitely does not work on the ‘ol tapis rouge. In anticipation of the Awards season ahead – the Golden Globes are on Sunday, people we quizzed the London based designer on her ultimate tips for red carpet dressing. So any of you nominees reading out there (ok, we like to fantasise) its time to swot up quick!
Alice Temperley's Top 5 Tips
1. Always choose a dress you know you won’t look back on and go, ‘agggggh’. A red carpet dress needs to be timeless or your will always regret it.
2. Just like with a wedding dress I would advise against going for something completely and utterly different in terms of silhouette or colour on the red carpet. You want people to see that its you and make sure you are wearing the dress and not the other way around. I always think you shouldn’t try and make a ‘statement’, if you are comfortable in what you are wearing you will look your best – and that is the only statement worth making.
3. Red carpet dressing all depends on the climate. I think richer deeper colours are more flattering on the body but the opposite is true if you are in Cannes or St Tropez where the light makes deep colours look heavy and unflattering.
4. As far as accessories are concerned I think it is always best to be as minimalist as possible. If you can get away, do. You can always put your lipstick in your escort’s pocket! Remember its all about you and the dress. Nothing more, so keep the accessories very discreet.
5. When it comes to shoes, I always think Charlotte Olympia, of course! Her footwear is always feminine and sexy and also just right for every occasion.
See the stars wearing Temperley in the gallery below >>