Once again, Victoria Beckham has surprassed our expectations. With news that the designer is opening her first store in London, we imagined she'd go the tried and tested route with some Bond Street gloss - but oh no! Rumour has it VB is setting up shop in none other than Dover Street. What an interesting choice! was the reaction here at Grazia HQ. This has lead to endless speculation about why Lady Becks has (possibly, probably) opted for the hipster-cool location. Here's what we've come up with...
1. Victoria can capitalise on the cool factor - Dover Street is renowned for being a destination shopping street for those in the know. It's slightly off the beaten track - shoppers rarely fall upon it by accident - which makes it seriously cool and won't mean scrums of tourists a la Oxford Street (sooo not chic!).
2. The store will be positioned alongside super-cool brands - Taking a place alongside Acne and the like is sure to rub off well on the new VB shop. It'll also come in handy when VB pops out for a lunchtime spree.
3. Dover Street Market will bring in hipster types - DSM, a multilevel store created by the highly cool Rei Kawakubo of Japanese fashion label Comme des Garçons, has become a favourite stop-off for the cool kids. What's more, of-the-moment designers like Simone Rocha often exhibit there.
4. ...and the A-list shoppers - We've seen hipster types like Alexa Chung and Agyness Deyn popping over to the street for their covetable gear while Katy Perry often pays a visit when she's on our shores.
5. There's more than enough to do - The street is the location of a number of well-known London clubs where Victoria can pop in for post-work cocktails. Our favourite is The Arts Club, founded by Charles Dickens in 1863, but let's not forget famous celebrity haunt Mahiki is also along the road (hello Prince Harry!). Dover Street is also directly opposite the Ritz Hotel, conveniently located in case VB's A-list mates come to stay, and where better to schmooze them than at Nobu after that one-to-one dress fitting?
6. The street is internationally renowned - Everyone who's anyone has heard of Dover Street and it's become synonymous with Europe's avant garde style with means major kudos from the fash pack around the world.
7. It fits well with the vibe of VB's website - www.victoriabeckham.com is hardly your traditional ecommerce site. Instead, it has a youthful, edgy flavour that complements the rough 'n' ready atmosphere of Dover Street. Nicely done!
8. VVB is all about the hip London girl - Since the last collection, Victoria, Victoria Beckham, the designer's diffusion line, has become more Alexa Chung hip than Eva Longoria polished so it makes sense that Lady Becks is leaning towards trendy London style rather than Hollywood swank.
9. It's easily commutable from home - Now that Family Beckham has returned to Blighty (yey!), it makes perfect sense that VB has a shop not too far from where they live in West London.
10. The street is notable for its Georgian architecture - And we all know Victoria likes a period piece - who could forget Beckingham Palace, eh?
But what say you? Is Dover Street a good choice for Victoria? Or were you expecting to see her elsewhere? Let us know below and in the meantime, take a browse through her magnificent style-volution via the gallery below...