Fashion's kaiser Karl Lagerfeld's ambition in life is to wear size 28 jeans, he is 'allergic' to flip flops, owns 300 iPods and has said he wishes he could marry his cat Choupette. In interviews we have discovered Karl likes to fax Anna Wintour, dressed the same when he was a child and thinks sweatpants are a sign of defeat. He is perhaps the most quotable man on the planet.
Well now you can see the world through Karl's monochrome loving, flip flop hating eyes thanks to a new book Le monde selon Karl (or in English - The World According to Karl). The 160 page ode to Karl by Patrick Mauriés, Jean-Christophe Napias and Sandrine Gulbenkian, features 50 illustrations by Charles Ameline. Although Karl didn't help out personally on the project he is said to be pleased with their selection of his life mottos. Karl is proud of his sharp tongue as his website features a section called 'Karl-isms' and he has his very own column in the Wall Street Journal.
The bad news is we'll have to wait until September 24th to read this dictionary of Karl Koutations - anyone else tempted to pre-order it right now? But let's get a taster with our pick of the top 10 Karl-isms from the archive below...
10 of the best Karl-isms
1. On the skinny model debate - ‘Fat mummies sit there in front of the television with their chip packets and say skinny models are ugly…no one wants to see curvy women'
2. On Adele – ‘She is a little too fat, but she has a beautiful face and a divine voice.'
3. On dressing down - 'A sign of defeat. You lost control of your life so you bought some sweatpants.'
4. On homosexuality - ‘When I was a child I asked my mother what homosexuality was about and she said — and this was 100 years ago in Germany and she was very open-minded — "It's like hair colour. It's nothing. Some people are blonde and some people have dark hair. It's not a subject." This was a very healthy attitude.'
5. On growing up as a diva – ‘When I was four I asked my mother for a valet for my birthday’
6. On his feeling of anti-climax post-show – ‘I’m a kind of fashion nymphomaniac who never gets an orgasm.’
7. On his sunnies – ‘They're my burka... I'm a little shortsighted, and people, when they're shortsighted, they remove their glasses and then they look like cute little dogs who want to be adopted.’
8. On Andy Warhol – ‘I shouldn't say this, but physically he was quite repulsive.’
9. On tattoos - 'I think tattoos are horrible. It's like living in a Pucci dress full-time. If you're young and tight, maybe it's OK, but…'
10. On small, ugly people – ‘Life is not a beauty contest, some [ugly people] are great. What I hate is nasty, ugly people. The worst is ugly short men. Women can be short, but for men it is impossible. It is something that they will not forgive in life - they are mean and they want to kill you.'