Madonna's Givenchy ensemble at the Super Bowl was one of the most iconic fashion moments of 2012 - so it's no surprise Rihanna turned to Riccardo Tisci for her tour wardrobe. As WWD reports, Monsieur Tisci created a haute stage costume for the singer who kicked off her Diamonds World Tour on Friday night in Buffalo.
Rihanna took the stage wearing the custom-made Givenchy couture ensemble consisting of a floor-sweeping ruffled silk crepe cape in black with a embroidered collar, topped off with a pair of black-and-white leather thigh-high boots with lacing details. PHWOAR indeed.
Next, she donned a printed parka featuring gold bullet motifs, embroidery and Swarovski Elements inspired by the designer's latest men’s collection. Underneath, she wore a black-and-white leather bra with golden buckles and starry embroideries with a pair of black silk and satin mini shorts. As if that wasn't enough, she teamed the look with a pair of, err, couture goggles featuring gold hardware, a gold metal shark tooth necklace reading RIRI, as well as white crystal stud earrings.
According to Givenchy, the outfits are symbols of female empowerment and urban haute couture elegance. 'Rihanna represents what young and amazing means today,' Tisci said of his creations. 'She is punk and talented. She offers intelligence, energy and pure beauty. She is the face of her generation.'
Of course, this isn't the first time Ri-Ri has turned to the Italian designer for her edgy garb. Let's pay tribute by recapping her finest Givenchy moments...
1. For her notorious 777 extravanganza, Rihanna performed in Paris wearing a dressed-down outfit also created by her designer pal. The black printed satin T-shirt worn with thigh-high suede leather boots came from the brand's Spring Summer 2013 collection.
2. The star joined the fash pack when she championed the luxury brand's printed T-shirts.
3. In April 2012, she promoted her silver screen debut in Battleship wearing a roll neck wool sweater covered in twinkling embellishments with a pair of cotton harem trousers and long leather gloves, all by Givenchy
4. Ri-Ri stole the show at the 2012 Brit Awards when she swathed her curves in a Givenchy Haute Couture stunner. She teamed the crystal-embellished taupe gown with matching Givenchy diamante heels, brown leather gloves and Solange Azagury-Partridge jewels.
5. Waaaay back in 2011, we spotted the red-haired songstress sporting Givenchy's leopard print shoulder bag while out and about in New York.
For more of Rihanna's greatest style moments, check out the gallery below...