Malaika Firth for Prada by Steven Meisel
Congratulations to Malaika Firth – Kenyan and British model from Barking in Essex, you know – on landing her first ever campaign. And it’s Prada! *squeals* Which not only welcomes her into the next level of modelling fame, but also makes her the first black face of the brand since Naomi Campbell back in 1994. #Fact
The campaign was shot by legendary fashion photographer, Steven Meisel and also stars '90s super supermodel Christy Turlington – who still looks absolutely amazing, as you would expect. So how excited must Malaika be? We spoke exclusively to the model to find out more about her . . .
Here are seven other things to know about Mailaka – as we’ve got a feeling this won’t be the last you’ll be hearing of her.
1. She was earmarked for big things by Premier models boss, Carole White, after Malaika’s mum who was watching The Model Agency on TV and decided to put Malaika forward to the agency.
2. Her favourite food is 'my grandma’s “Boko Boko” chicken, it’s made to a secret family recipe and is basically grilled chicken seasoned with honey, garlic…actually it’s secret so I shouldn’t be telling you this. She has her own restaurant in Mombasa, Kenya it’s called “Boko Boko Porini”
3. She's still only 19, having been modelling for a few years already.
Malaika Firth on the catwalk
4. Her modelling highlight so far is working for Prada (obvs); 'walking at the men’s SS14 collections, for which I modelled Resort. That was really cool'.
5. When it comes to role models, she 'wouldn’t want to be like anyone else, but I really look up to Jourdan Dunn. I have met her and think she is such an inspiration and is my modelling role model!'
6. If she had the chance to steal one piece from the Prada catwalk? 'I loved the gold metallic peep toes from the Autumn Winter 13 collection'
7. And finally, her musical reccomendation: 'I love Erykah Badu, her songs are very uplifting. My favourite track at the moment is “I want you”'
It's all about Malaika Firth, people. You heard it here first!