It feels like a few of tonight's guests may have had a sixth sense about Stella's second British Fashion Award 2012 win. Victoria Pendleton, Gemma Arterton and Amber Valletta all wore pieces by the designer to attend the fashwan do where she received the Designer of the Year Award, presented by Salma Hayek (also in Stella!).
2012 was the year that belonged to Stella. What with her eight-year partnership with Adidas resulting in her overseeing the creation of the Team GB kit for all our Olympians, a return to the London catwalk for a one-off eveningwear show not to mention her 40th birthday and winning Brand of the Year and Designer of the Year at the British Fashion Awards, it looks as if her feminine yet super-modern minimal clothes have boosted her status to world-conquering level.
Stella's collections feature a signature mix of sharply tailored blazers and trouser suits combined with softer, more feminine lingerie-inspired pieces. Over the seasons, these two influences have blended to create strikingly modern, clean pieces, with a curved, feminine edge to them, always with unique patterns and an emphasis on texture. Her catwalk shows are always a starry affair with her dad Sir Paul, bessie Kate Moss and super fans Natalia Vodianova and Alicia Keys often spotted in the front row.
With two awards in the bag, let's take a look back at some of her 2012 highlights...
1. She mixed the masculine and feminine for Spring/ Summer 2013
2. She dressed Kate Middleton for the opening of a National Portrait Gallery exhibition
3. She dressed Hollywood's finest for the 'My Valentine' premiere
4. She championed the optical illusion dress
5. She designed the Team GB kit!!!
6. She made cobalt blue huge for Autumn/ Winter 2012
7. She bagged Natalia Vodianova for her Spring / Summer 2012 Campaign
8. She dressed Margaret Thatcher! Well almost. More like Meryl Streep for The Iron Lady premiere
Here's what Stella had to say when Grazia Daily met the designer moments after winning her second BFA...