Balenciaga's New Hire: Alexander Wang’s Defining Fashion Moments To Date
Click Through To See Wang's Finest Moments >>
Now we know Alexander Wang has got the Balenciaga job in the bag, we thought now’s a good as time as ever to stage a mini-retrospective on the 28 year old designer’s hits as well as assess the fallout from the news.
Born to Taiwanese-American parents Wang spent his late teens in San Francisco before moving to the Big Apple to study fashion at Parson’s (the Yankee equivalent of Central Saint Martins). Dropping out in his second year, he went on to launch his eponymous collection in 2007 aged only 23. His particular brand of downtown cool was an immediate hit with both the press and shoppers and only a year later Wang won the CFDA/Vogue Fashion Fund complete with $200,000 to help expand his business. The rest as they say is history.
Of course what Wang has always been about are the must-have-it-now fashion moments. Click through the gallery to see our favourite memories of Wang, The Early Years.
The Model Uniform
1. The King of MOD – Model Off Duty style, Wang established his model-dresser credentials through his relationship with muse/mannequin Erin Wasson. In his first collections circa 2008, a uniform of denim, leather, clinging maxi skirts, sleeveless jackets and beanies marked him out as the new purveyor of street grunge.
The Leather Sleeve Denim Jacket
2. Wang’s next wait-list worthy number was from his Spring 2009 line. This collection shot the designer into the big time and also gave us the first taste of Wang’s way with jersey…
T By Alexander Wang
3…Which leads us neatly on to the establishment of T By Alexander Wang for S/S 2009. The jersey based diffusion line offers the world’s most perfect tees and sweats – all at an extremely reasonable price point. It was at this moment we realised that Alex was a canny business operator.
The American Football Shoulder
4. Sportswear has become one of Wang’s keynote signatures and no silhouette more represents the Wang look than the American football shoulder.
Diego vs. Rocco - The Wang It Bags
5. February 2011 marked the opening of Wang’s first ever standalone store in –where else – Soho, NYC. At this point we were all still salivating over Wang’s super cool IT bags – the low slung Diego and the hand held Rocco, both complete with signature studs.
Glow In The Dark
6. For S/S 2013 Wang pulled off a major coup and managed to surprise a FROW with his glow in the dark collection. Come February fashion editors will be fighting over the knee highs and white block heels – both new additions the wondrous world of Wang footwear.