This morning ASOS resumed trading following the suspected arson attack at their only warehouse. In a statement ASOS said that approximately 20% of the total stock at the site has been compromised by fire damage and the sprinkler systems.
At the time of the fire £159m and 70% of the stock was held at the warehouse. They add that they are fully insured for the loss of stock and interruption and that none of the technology, automation or structure of the building had been affected by the fire. The fire broke out on Friday evening at about 22:00 BST and the site went back online at 2am on Monday morning.
If you try to log onto ASOS today you will find that the shopping site has been temporarily closed with all orders suspended due to a suspected arson attack at the retailer's only warehouse in Barnsley, South Yorkshire. According to Reuters, the police believe that the fire which broke out on Friday evening was started deliberately.
It has been reported that around 500 workers were forced to evacuate the warehouse late on Friday. The South Yorkshire Fire Service said that ten fire engines and 60 firefighters dealt with the fire at the 60,000 square metre warehouse - that is the size of six football pitches. No one was hurt as a message reads on ASOS: "Thankfully no one was hurt and we expect to be back to normal for you in the next day or so."
Message on the ASOS website
The police said in a statement: "South Yorkshire Police are now treating the incident as deliberate, after initial investigations were carried out this morning with South Yorkshire Fire and Rescue." This warehouse is believed to have had an estimated 10 million clothes packages at the time the fire broke out.
As for any outstanding orders ASOS spokesman Matthew Smallwood told the MailOnline: 'I can confirm that some orders have been delayed but cannot confirm how many at the moment. 'Customers will either receive a full refund or get their orders as soon as possible.'