Hats off to Cartier! Sunday 15th June will mark the brand’s 30th year of polo sponsorship when the Cartier Queen’s Cup Final kicks into action. Known as 'The King of Jewellers', Cartier is the longest standing polo sponsor in history so there's a zillion fabulous shots in their archives. From Cartier’s first ever sponsorship with the International Day at Guards, to the Cartier Queen’s Cup polo, guests have included everyone from royalty to celebrities, including Angelina Jolie, Keira Knightley, Sharon Stone and Emma Watson to name a few. So we've had a trawl to relive some of the great moments in honour of this longstanding relationship - see them in the gallery above - and read on for 5 little known facts...
Cartier x Polo: A History
Charles and Diana at the Cartier polo
1. Cartier first sponsored the International Day in 1984 and since then, the Cartier International Day became the largest and most prestigious polo spectator event in the world, attracting over 25,000 people in Windsor Great Park at Guards Polo Club.
2. It was for 27 years that Cartier sponsored the International Polo day at Guards Polo Club before deciding to sponsor the Queen’s Cup, one of the world’s leading polo tournaments. With the best polo players in the world participating, it is a highlight for the sport’s elite and spectators alike.
3. Past players have included HRH Prince Philip, who played in the final and Prince Charles who won the trophy.
4. The Queen first presented her cup to Guards Polo Club in 1960 and historically attends Finals Day.
5. Events such as the St. Moritz Polo, the Cartier International Dubai Polo Challenge, The Cartier World Elephant Polo championship and the first polo event in Beijing have all contributed towards the embodiment of what polo and Cartier have achieved together.