Ascot 2012 has seen real life fashion police patrolling in force, looking for rebellious race-goers. Ascot’s dress code has been tightened up this year and consequently Ascot has hired an army of smart, purple-clad soldiers, who patrol the gates of the racecourse in Berkshire.
Don’t fret though – they aren’t going to arrest you if they don’t like your dress. Armed with hampers full of a range of varied fascinators and shawls – for uncovered heads and shoulders – and ties for men, these police actually give you something for free if you break the rules. You can also opt to hire a more striking hat for a deposit of £50. How nice of them!
Ascot's fashion police in action
Here’s some more of Ascot’s new rules:
1. Dresses and skirts should be of modest length(below the knee or longer).
2. Dresses and tops should have straps of one inch or greater (No strapless tops allowed).
3. Trouser suits are welcome. They should be of full length and of matching material and colour.
4. Hats should be worn; a headpiece which has a base of 4 inches (10cm) or more in diameter is acceptable as an alternative to a hat.
5. Midriffs must be covered.
6. Fascinators are no longer permitted in the Royal Enclosure; neither are headpieces which do not have a base of at least 10cm. (Kate Middleton, what are you going to do??)
7. Men in the Royal Enclosure should wear a black or grey morning suit with a top-hat.
The ‘dress code assistants’ had to pull race-goer Mrs. Tanaka-Svenska to one side. She was wearing a strapless short white-dress teamed with a pair of trousers by HMH couture and a bird cage-style hat. Bare shoulders? Unacceptable! She said to the Huffington Post: ‘The dress code has always been quite strict but we always bend the rules slightly - they know us here.’ Not this year, lady.
We've also seen Florence Brudenell-Bruce, Caroline Sieber, Lydia Bright and *ahem* the girls from Steps working their finest headgear so scroll through our gallery above for Ascot's best - and - worst dressed. And do let us know whether you think they pass the test...