We really love reading Anna Dello Russo’s fashion tips. She covers all sorts – what’s hot for autumn/winter’12, her favourite fashion quotes, the best accessories - but the latest blog installment of her sartorial pearls of wisdom covers Cannes and there are two main reasons why it lifted our spirits on a Monday morning. Firstly there’s the fact that she’s very often ahead of the curve and spots things that no one else has quite cottoned onto yet (she’s majorly backing minimalism and coming from a famous maximalist this is a v important statement). Secondly the adorably lost-in-translation wording and use of capital letters for emphasis. ‘Blows wind of CLEANNESS’ is the first tip and whilst we don’t know the style icon is exactly referencing, we caught her drift… so to speak! Read on for ADR’s top 10 Cannes tips and scroll through the gallery above to see who got it right according to the list.
1. Blows wind of CLEANNESS. Now, we’re not 100 per cent sure of what this means, but we reckon it’s something to do with simplicity and minimalism…. And not, ahem, colonic irrigation pre-Cannes.
2. KEYWORDS: Severity, austerity and sophistication. Even Anna herself - who normally rocks the most outrageous of finale catwalk looks - chose to hit the red carpet in a clean-cut white column gown from Alberta Ferretti. When ADR does minimalism, you know it’s time to follow suit.
3. Raf Simons at Dior, Heidi Slimane at YSL, Jil Sander at Jil Sander: Pure DESIGN is back!! So this must be a tip for Cannes 2013, because these clothes don’t event exist yet… listen up A-listers, ADR is giving you a BIG hint!
4. Carine Roitfeld queen of French dark CHIC at Amfar benefit runway. We knew this one already!
5. Just SOLID BLACK dresses at Amfar benefit runway. So it wasn’t just Carine, then. As well as ADR, Giovanna Battaglia, Anja Rubik and Sky Ferreia also found their inner goth.
6. So stay in STRICT, SMART, DISCIPLINED mood. Even Kim Kardashian (just about) stuck to this one.
7. Don’t go DRAMA, go MINIMAL. This is kiiinda the same as rule no. 6 above. But we were struck by the clean lines of Freida Pinto in a Michael Angel crop top and midi skirt.
8. Only admitted BLACK or WHITE. We think we might have covered this point already, but there were plenty more black and/or white outfits. Lily Donaldson wins first prize in J. Mendel.
9. No JEWELS. If there was jewellery on show it was teeny and delicate. In fact, Kristen Stewart wore her Juste un Clou Cartier bracelet (which looks like a chic and elegantly bent nail) the whole time and nothing else.
10. Amazing hair and makeup. If the ladies didn’t do this at Cannes we’d be pretty damn disappointed. But special mention must go to Diane Kruger. Not only did she have a gazillion outfit changes but her hair and makeup always look polished to perfection.