Today we met iconic model/actress/ANTM judge/singer Twiggy and we have to admit, we've not chatted with anyone quite so enthusiastic about fashion in yonks! She was celebrating the grand press unveiling of the first design line she's ever created for M&S. "What was important to me was that firstly the fit, cut and fabrics were all of the best possible quality," she told us whilst sifting through rails of linen, lace, velvet, silk and tweeds, and encouraging everyone to really feel the fabrics, "And secondly, I wanted to create a totally ageless collection." Well, with letters still streaming in from both her peers and teens that discover her seminal ‘60s look, her fan base stretches far and wide. So, how do you please lots of people? With Twiggy's top choice - the matt silver sequinned jacket. "My daughter Carly would wear this, you (and I'm 26, folks) would wear this, a seventeen year old would wear it with denim hot pants, I'll wear it with smart jeans and heels - and I belted it with a skinny the first time I tried it on - and a 70 year old can sling it over a simple dress!" Good point, well made! Same goes for other classics within the collection - like a nipped in 40s style knee length dress, white blazer or the sleek tux jeans that have a slimming stripe down the side (Twiggy was actually rocking these on the day). Check out our edit of the best bits below - they start dropping exclusively online on Thursday 12th April - and read our five things we learnt about Twiggy today. And don't forget to click through our gallery of sartorial Twiggy moments....
1. She collects jackets - especially anything from the ‘40s – and her favourite vintage store to find them at is The Family Jewels on West 23rd Street in NYC. In fact, you’d be surprised to know that Twiggy is all about the 1940s – not the 1960s!
2. She was once a mod! And would go to parties, check out what the Queen Mod would be wearing and them run something up on the sewing machine at home to emulate it!
She believes trends and fashion should be affordable and not for the few.
3. If Twiggy is scheduled in for a two hour fitting session at M&S HQ, do not expect her to leave until six hours later. She confessed, “They can’t get rid of me! They’ll probably start locking the doors!”
4. Twiggy's print designer daughter Carly – who works at Stella McCartney - has been so crazy in the run up to fashion week, that's she’s not yet seen the debut collection! We think she'll approve of the cool crosshatch and tropical palm-leaf prints.
5. Her biggest style influence is Barbara Hulanicki. "I’m now fortunate enough to be friends with Barbara Hulanicki. She was the first person to really produce high fashion at a reasonable price,” she told us, “And I remember when I was a teenager, I had a Saturday job in a salon, my friend and I would save up six week’s of wages then rush down to the Biba store to pick up something exciting and new.”
Check out updates at www.marksandspencer.com/Twiggy