Karl Lagerfeld is a juggernaut. Official. And, although every week is Karl’s week, there really wasn’t any getting away from him this week. First it was the launch of Chanel airways during Couture Week in Paris, then Karl touched down with Net-a-Porter. It was the launch of the year, and created mass queues of people outside pop-up stores, everyone desperate to get their hands on a little piece of Kut-price Karl.
Within an hour or two of launch, Net had already had over 1,000 sales, with pieces selling out almost immediately. First to go were the collars which sold from £70, followed by the £20 tote bag and Karl’s signature cut-off gloves at £50 a pair. At last count 11 pieces had sold out, while sizes in lots more were running very low (although more is expected soon). But of course, with such an in demand collection, there were a few shoppers who hit Net to buy Karl, in order to sell it immediately on eBay. Tut, tut. Now, those £50 gloves can be yours for £145.99, while some chancer is offering the Buy it Now price of £89.99 for the £20 tote. Jokes, but you can’t blame them from trying.
And to promote the collection, Karl made a series of videos. In one, he displayed his DJ skills, but our favourite is the one where he interviews himself, which you can watch above. Man, he’s brilliant. First he berates himself for being late: ‘we should have travelled together and then you would have been here on time,’ Karl 1 scolds Karl 2. But they soon settle down to the chat where Karl 2 admits that he is never happy with himself, work is the secret of his/their success, and warns everyone watching ‘don’t think you’re a victim of the system. If it feels too big for you, then do something else.’ Karl clearly doesn’t suffer fools then, but we wonder if that includes those who hit eBay to buy his collection at massively inflated prices?!
Net-a-Porter have just released the Karl stats about how the collection sold across the world on the opening day, and they reveal that Wednesday 25th January was one of their top traffic days EVER! Phew, Karl has quite a draw. They also told Grazia that...
1. Across both sites the most popular items in the collection so far have been the printed cotton-poplin cameo collar, the black textured-leather shoulder bag, the Karl-print jersey t-shirt, the sequined crepe dress, the stretch-cotton biker jacket and the pleated faux leather skirt.
2. One of the first items to sell out was the KARL canvas bag that sold out shortly after going live.
3. In the first few hours of the collection going live, on average every 4 out of 5 units being bought on NET-A-PORTER was KARL
4. Items from the KARL collection have so far been bought by customers in over 70 countries
5. The 3 markets who have bought the most KARL product so far are the U.S, UK and Germany
Guess that means that the States, the UK and Germany are KL's biggest fans... Don't forget it, Karl!