And to celebrate the start of everyone’s favourite festival, Lovebox, another very good festival, has commissioned a poll to find the most iconic festival outfits ever. What are they? Well, they are thus:
Unsurprisingly, Kate Moss takes the number one spot (well, duh) with her hot pants and wellies combo, circa Glastonbury 2005 – a look that was so strong it basically kick started the whole oeuvre of ‘festival fashion’, giving the likes of Grazia Daily something to write about during the quiet summer months.
Second up is Jimi Hendrix in his iconic fringed coat a Woodstock circa 1969, and in third place is Lady Gaga on stage at Glastonbury with her flame throwing bra. Also making the cut is, erm, Alan Carr with his giant prawn costume from Bestival ’09, Dame Shirley Bassey with her diamante wellies from Glasto 2007 and Flea of the Red Hot Chilli Peppers naked on stage in 1999.
So what thinkest you of the above selection? Have Lovebox missed one of your faves off the list, like Moss’s PVC jeans and Victorian mourning cape, or Mossy in her gold-beaded cape and hotpants, or Mossy in… Oh, heck. Here’s the list in full.
1. Kate Moss – hot pants and Hunter wellies – Glastonbury 2005 (25%)
2. Jimi Hendrix – fringe-tassel cape – Woodstock 1969 (20%)
3. Lady Gaga – flame-throwing bra – Glastonbury 2009 (18%)
4. The Clash – skinny jeans and slogan t-shirts – Anti Nazi Festival 1978 (10%)
5. Alan Carr – giant prawn costume – Bestival 2009 (8%)
6. Joe Cocker – tie dye – Woodstock 1969 (6%)
7. Mick Jagger – white dress – Stones in the Park 1969 (5%)
8. Shirley Bassey – diamond encrusted wellies – Glastonbury 2007 (3%)
9. Grace Jones – mohawk hat – Lovebox 2010 (2%)
10. Flea (Red Hot Chilli Peppers) – nude – Woodstock Revival 1999 (1%)
Joe Cocker, Woodstock '69
The Clash, Rock Against Racism 1978
- Alex Butt