If you thought the winter weather was spoiling your life right now, check out the messy umbrellas and water-splashed gowns on the red carpet at the Golden Globes in LA last night. Maybe the rain was responsible for all those ‘Mad Men’ style updos? Colour of the night was purple – from a bold royal Bottega Veneta on Sandra Bullock, and Rose Byrne’s beautiful aubergine Lanvin gown, Chloë Sevigny’s dusty lavender Valentino, and foxy lilac Roberto Cavalli on Leona Lewis. The other colour of choice is the look for spring 2010 – soft powdery ‘make-up’ tones. Other big looks? Plenty of girly ruffles and lots of one-shoulder styles.
This year’s ceremony also saw a trend for short dresses – we’re still not sure about for this style for major awards shows, but when it’s rocked by a red carpet veteran like Julia Roberts (wearing vintage YSL) you have to take a moment to think. Ginnifer Goodwin also looked pixie chic in an electric blue draped Vionnet cocktail gown and a pregnant Amy Adams wore forest green Carolina Herrera.
Our fave dresses of the night? Emily Blunt’s pale rose strapless Dolce & Gabbana number, and two from Lanvin - Rose Byrne’s aubergine gown and January Jones’ funky take on Holly Golightly’s classic look.
This was easily was the dressiest (and soggiest) Golden Globes we’ve seen in a long time… Roll on the Oscars!
What we loved...
1. Christina Hendricks in a peach ruffled Christian Siriano gown and jewelry by Loree Rodkin
We love: the way the peach clashes with her red hair, and that Hendricks plays up her curves with that outrageous ruffle.
2. Gabourey Sidibe in a Kevan Hall gown with a Swarovski clutch
We love: Sidibe’s skin looks incredible next to this emerald green shade. This dress has pleating in all the right places and we like the way jewels and beading were used to highlight the waist and neckline..
3. Sandra Bullock in purple Bottega Veneta
We love: this royal shade of purple is so bold and flattering, and that subtle hint of leg, rather than the traditional side split, looks ultra-modern
4. Marion Cotillard in Christian Dior, with jewelry by Chopard and a Roger Vivier crocodile clutch
We love: this deep emerald shade and the peekaboo lace underskirt
5. January Jones in Lanvin and Brian Atwood shoes
We love: this modern twist on Holly Golightly’s look
6. Chloë Sevigny in a Valentino gown accessorised with a clutch by Roger Vivier and Sergio Rossi heels
We love: the unapologetically feminine elegance of this gown, and the very Spring ’10 powdery colour. And that Sevigny has rejected the predictable skintight look for a more floaty silhouette.
7. Drew Barrymore in an Atelier Versace gown, Jimmy Choo shoes, a Roger Vivier clutch, and jewelry by Lorraine Schwartz
We love: that what looks like classic gown (in a so perfect-for-her shade of powder pink) has been given an edgy wow factor with sparkling jeweled coral jeweled detailing at the shoulder and waist.
8. Julianne Moore in Balenciaga and jewelry by Bulgari and Tom Ford in Tom Ford
We love: move over Elizabeth Taylor; Bulgari’s new model got herself some beautiful earrings. And look! She stole them from the campaign photoshoot!
9. Cameron Diaz in Alexander McQueen accessorised with a bracelet by Van Cleef and Arpels and a Roger Vivier heels
We love: that Diaz always manages to look young and fun even at the most formal events.
10. Maggie Gyllenhaal in RM Roland Mouret, Prada shoes, and earrings by Bulgari.
We love: how pretty and elegant this peach shade is against Maggie’s pale complexion. And the made-for-her custom fit of this dress.
11. Rose Byrne in a Lanvin gown, Brian Atwood pumps, and Judith Leiber jewelry.
We love: purple was very popular at the GGs, but we especially love the jewellery pinned to the draping at the waist of this gown, and that Byrne wore her hair down – more down dos please!
12. Toni Collette in a dress and clutch both by Elie Saab, teamed with Sergio Rossi heels
We love: the old school Hollywood screen siren vibe.
13. Diane Kruger in a pink tulle bustier dress from the Christian Lacroix Spring/Summer 09 collection, a White "Muse" clutch by Raven Kauffman, Chanel fine jewellery and Sergio Rossi platform heels
We love: the soft yet sculptural intricacy of this gown, and the bright white bow. But most of all we love that Kruger chose to publicly support Lacroix by wearing his gown for the GGs.
14. Carey Mulligan in a Nina Ricci gown accessorised with jewelry by Fred Leighton and Sergio Rossi heels
We love: how pretty yet gothy this gown is, and that Mulligan always manages to look cool and appropriate – good combination.
15. Olivia Wilde in a Gucci dress, Tiffany & Co. jewelry, Jimmy Choo shoes, and a Judith Leiber clutch
We love: the sexy disco attitude of this gown. Reminds of those cool Gucci fragrance ads with the Blondie soundtrack.
16. Leona Lewis in a lavender figure hugging Roberto Cavalli dress
We love: that at first glance, we thought she was Beyonce; this is such a sexy look for Leona. Hawt.
17. Emily Blunt in Dolce & Gabbana
We love: the romantic pink chiffon of this feminine number and those loose waves are the perfect compliment.
18. Penelope Cruz in Armani Privé
We love: that this curve-enhancing black gown with mermaid tail channels Pen's Spanish roots and the fact it's from the S/S '05 catwalk makes it all the more delightful.