Blow the dust off those Doctor Martens, strap on your bumbag (VERY Marc Jacobs S/S '10) and fire up The Fresh Prince on YouTube... OH YES! The '90s are back!
Selfridges on London’s Oxford St has been in the habit of putting on exhibitions and events recently and kicks off the New Year with a '90s extravaganza which launches this weekend.
If you live in London you can wander down to Selfridges to experience vintage shop Rellik’s stall with essential designerwear and accessories, including Jean Paul Gaultier, Azzedine Alaïa, Vivienne Westwood and Comme Des Garçons, plus more clothes from Beyond Retro, the decades finest style magazines from IDEA, book and artwork from the likes of Damien Hirst and his spot paintings. Plus, MAC are showcasing their ultimate '90s looks.
If you like the idea of going out dancing to authentic nineties choons then you’re spoilt for choice with WORK IT in Dalston, London (who run an excellent website www.youworkit.co.uk full of '90s imagery and tips)
Underground night Why So Serious tomorrow night at the Russian Bar in Shoreditch [facebook]
Or the Cream Classics night in Birmingham’s Custard Factory where Boy George and Brandon Block take your ears back a decade. [theticketsellers]
TOP TIPS for dressing like a '90s Queen!
* Go baggy in dungarees, belted boyfriend jeans and satin bomber jackets. Feminise the look with a tummy-baring crop top
* Keep your face clean but add a slick of brown lippy, like MACs Spice
* Chunky footwear is the only way to go (you can’t dance till dawn in your four-inchers, now can you?) Try DMs, Chipie trainers or ankle boots à la Alexa.
* Double denim - rocked by all the East London hipsters and spotted on S/S '10 catwalks including Banana Republic and Diesel.
* Just like your heels, posh handbags stay at home while you carry your kit in a nifty bumbag.
- Naomi Attwood