Okay, John Galliano’s birthday isn’t actually until tomorrow, but we thought we’d start the celebrations today by giving him an early present… and also because we’ll be having our Saturday lie-in tomorrow (zzzzzz). So in honour of the eccentric King of Dior turning 49 years of age, check out our ode to his famously wacky catwalk finale cameos. Never a man to disappoint with his showmanship skills, we cannot WAIT to see what he’ll do for the big 5-0 next year. Here are our top 10 John Galliano walks...
- Christian Dior, Haute Couture, A/W’06, Paris – After a show dedicated to historical battles with models in chain mail and embellished suits of armour, Galliano took the audience completely by surprise by appearing in a futuristic astronaut suit.
2. John Galliano, RTW, A/W’09, Paris Fashion Week – the designer donned a simple trench and tricorne hat for his own ready-to-wear show, but walked down a tunnel of beautiful solar system star lights. We really want one of those for when we walk into a party (sigh).
3. John Galliano, A/W’02/03,
4. John Galliano, Pret a Porter, S/S’03,
5. Christian Dior, Haute Couture A/W’08, Paris – An insanely beautiful couture show was topped off by Galliano strutting his stuff in this detailed Renaissance-style ensemble (giant fur hat included). The dresses shown were feminine, embellished and colourful with full skirts and tight bodices. It made us think of Alice in Wonderland but dreamier.
6. John Galliano, S/S’08, Paris Fashion Week – Maybe he got dressed in the dark, maybe he was drunk, maybe he was channelling Will Smith in the Fresh Prince of Bel Air. We don’t know, but we kind of love the hideous fun factor of this crazy print, layered-hat, gillet combo.
7. Christian Dior, Haute Couture, S/S’09, Paris Fashion Week – Sheer sleeves, net embellishment, a Mr Darcy-esque top hat – in keeping with a majestic couture show of pastel colours and full gowns, Mr G made a great impact as a man in black.
8. Christian Dior, S/S’10, Paris Fashion Week – the Dior show had us on the edge of our seats this year as Galliano took a nod to the Film Noir genre with gangsters, gunshots, finger-waved hair and sexy lingerie. Galliano kept it simple and man-of-mystery in a classic trench and top hat. Tres suave!
9. Christian Dior Cruise collection,
10. Christian Dior, S/S’08 at Paris Fashion Week – The collection was chic, monochrome and 1940s, and Galliano wore a white shirt with top hat and forgot his trousers. Very morning-after-the-night-before and we loved it.