When Rihanna’s stylist Mariel Haenn told myfashionlife that 'Grace Jones is one of the top influencers of my work', suddenly everything dropped into place. As you will see in the latest issue of Grazia, Rihanna is currently shooting the artwork and videos for her new album, in a series of super-strong looks that recall the fierce androgyny of the early '80s glamazon, (whose own iconic visuals were created with the help of legendary fashion stylist Jean-Paul Goude).
Add in X-Factor’s Rachel Adedeji, with her shaved head and sharp shoulders, and it seems there’s a mini-outbreak of girls who wannabe Grace Jones right now. For Rach and Rih-Rih, here are our 10 favourite things about Grace’s Jones’s style...
1. There are no shoulder pads big enough or sharp enough to overpower her
2. She’s made plum lipstick her own (so much fiercer than scarlet)
3. She makes bondage straps and buckles for eveningwear look fun, not slutty
4. She makes a snood-hood look like a super sophisticated style statement
5. Forget extensions and Barbie blow outs; Grace’s haircut is straight from the barber's chair
6. Gloves gloves gloves
7. Nobody, but nobody rocks hats better (Jones is BFF with Philip Treacy)
8. She is devastatingly elegant in a bias-cut gown.
9. She’s so going to make Issey Miyake’s Pleats Please have another moment
10. She was rocking swimsuits as daywear way before Gaga