So here we are at Burberry’s glossy, glassy new headquarters in Westminster by the Thames, and we are mega-excited. First of all, we can confirm this place has the best-dressed staff, possibly in the world. Everyone is wearing catwalk-standard trench coats, platform shoes, and to-die-for bags (pics later). Seriously, even the digital marketing guy is wearing a checked snood with his grey marl T-shirt and jeans. We just took a tour of the place – all 160,000 square foot and seven floors of it – and here is our list of Stuff We Love....
1. Everywhere smells of eucalyptus, Christopher Bailey’s favourite plant. There are bunches in every room and the whole place smells fresh and sexy.
2. You need permission from MI5 to go up on the roof (it’s based next door). Who knows what our secret service is going to make of the demented fashion hoards descending on the place for the Burberry after-show party on Tuesday.
3. The James Bond-style boardroom, which is all white, with a cinema-sized plasma screen to link up via satellite to the New York HQ – which apparently looks like a mirror image of the London boardroom (very Alice Through The Looking Glass). Also very eco: cutting down on all that flying for meetings, and – much more importantly – it’s sooo cool.
4. Christopher Bailey’s invisible office. There are white walls everywhere in the building hiding blink-and-you’ll-miss-them doors: to the VIP changing room; to the samples room ('drool'), and to the in-house photographic studio (ooh, we are so going to play in there). Christopher's secret office is located somewhere along a blank white corridor on the 7th floor. We reckon even he must have problems finding it some mornings.
5. Burberry Brit. Which we can exclusively reveal is the genius new name for Burberry’s lifestyle collection. We saw it in the branding room, which is a showroom just for displaying all the label’s different bags and packaging (no, really).
6. Even the (gorgeous oak) tables and chairs here are designed by Christopher. He liked them so much he has them at home too.
7. There is a Burberry-branded bus stop outside the building, covered in pics of the Emma Watson ad campaign, so you know when you’ve arrived in Burberryland.
8. The super-organised sample room – even though most of the accessories are currently out, having been lent to editors to wear at the NYFW shows. (Well, can you blame them?!)
PLUS: check out what Christopher Bailey had to say when he dropped by for a quick chocolate break!