If you're not already familiar with the name Isabella Blow, we guarantee you'll know all about the late editor and stylist by the end of next year. No less than two biographies are slated for release in 2010 – the first entitled Blow By Blow: The Story Of Isabella Blow, to be co-written by her husband Detmar Blow and Tom Sykes – and the second to be a ‘fun, juicy look' at one of the most iconic women in fashion. So with that in mind, alongside our prediction that it's only a matter of time before a film of Blow's life is locked down, here are five fun facts that you might need when she next comes up in conversation – which she will. Lots.
1. She once wore a necklace that read ‘Blowjob' to a party hosted by Princess Michael of Kent
2. She launched model Sophie Dahl's career after discovering her crying in a doorway, famously calling her ‘a blow-up doll with brains'.
3. She is credited with discovering Alexander McQueen in 1993 after purchasing his entire graduate collection for ₤5,000, paying it off in weekly ₤100 instalments
4. She became Anna Wintour's personal assistant at US Vogue after being introduced to her in 1981.
5. Favourite sayings: 'I simply can't look at you without lipstick' and 'I do just love breasts. They're so old-fashioned.'