Check out Katy Perry stepping out in New York the other day in a bold colour-mash trouser suit. The outfit grabbed our attention for two reasons: it makes a change from those stars who stick to safe old black these credit-crunch days. And it's made by one of our most hotly tipped designer duos, Basso & Brooke. So we thought we'd take a few moments to catch up with British-born Chris Brooke and Brazilian Bruno Basso, partners in business and life, to find out how they came to be dressing the US singer – and some sneaky you'd never know facts about them too!
Hey, Basso & Brooke! How did Katy Perry come to have that suit?
‘Katy has been requesting it from our PR for months,' says Chris Brooke. ‘She wanted to wear it on New Year's Eve but it was always out being used in shoots. In fact she has worn quite a bit of our stuff. She has a unique sense of style. In the end we gave her the sample of the suit. We think she looks brilliant in it.'
So tell us more about the print?
‘The print is a collage of quite iconic Japanese symbols: flora, fauna, it's inspired by the flow of nature. Very organic. There's a few frogs and herbs too. It's a mixture of photos, textures and illustrations,' Bruno Basso reveals.
OK then boys. Tell us a few things about yourselves that even Katy Perry won't know...
1. ‘We are both fine cooks. Food is probably as important. Whenever we go anywhere it is about the gastro-experience. We spend a lot of time in the kitchen.'
2. Our favourite place locally to eat is a pizzeria In Brixton market called Franco Manca. It serves organic neapolitan sourdough pizza and is delicious. (4, Market Row, Electric Lane, Brixton, London.)
3. ‘I wanted to be an accountant when I was a kid,' says Chris. ‘I am obsessed with numbers. Now I use that obsession to consult origami books in Japanese to learn further how to take a flat shape and fit it onto a woman's body. Its all about technique.'
4. ‘We would sum up our fashion philosophy as High-Res-Lo-Fi style,' says Bruno.
5. ‘We have two dogs. Louis is a French Bulldog. Penny is a Griffon Bruxellois.'
6. ‘We are really excited about the launch of our first resort collection. By Christmas all the Grazia girls will be able to sunbathe in Basso & Brooke bikinis.'
Hmmm... will Katy Perry will be performing in them too, we wonder?!
- Melanie Rickey
Basso & Brooke's lovely suit is available at Feathers (0207 243 8800). Trousers, £291. Jacket, £560.