Everyone from Dita Von Teese, Natalie Portman and Kiera Knightley is desperate to wear their latest designs and Britney wore one of their S/S'09 creations on the cover of her comeback album Circus. Now the sisters who make up Rodarte have won a 100,000 euro prize at last night's Swiss Textiles Awards at the Stella Fashion Night in Zurich. So it's fair to say the Rodarte girls are flying high! But here Angela Buttolph (author of Kate Moss, Style) discovers five things you never knew about them:
- The reclusive sisters, now in their late twenties, still live at home with Mom and Dad, sharing a bedroom, in Pasadena, California.
- During fittings the sisters' celebrity clients (who include Kirsten Dunst and Kiera Knightley) don't have a full length mirror to see themselves in.
- Self confessed nerds, the girls are also horror movie addicts. This was the inspiration for their current collection that features red dip-dyed silk tulle dresses designed to look blood-soaked.
- They started designing their label four years ago in their local public library.
- Their artist mother Victoria designs the Rodarte jewellery line - Grazia is currently loving their charm necklace, which has dozens of teeny plastic Bambis, and other woodland animals, all free gifts from 1950s boxes of Crackerjack popcorn!