Up until the S/S '09 fashion weeks began almost three weeks ago now, Naomi Campbell was the proud owner of the accolade for Most Memorable Fashion Catwalk Fall. (Watch it 30 secs in here). No one could top her 1993 tumble at Vivienne Westwood in Paris in 10 inch blue croco platforms... until now. As Grazia Daily has reported, New York, London and Milan fashion week's amount of trips, stumbles and outright collapses have reached almost epidemic proportions. The Prada shoe trauma (Katie Fogarty and Yulia Karhlaponova taking a fall), Abbey Lee spilling from Rodarte's Star Wars heels, the model who mouthed obscenities at MeadhamKirchoff when her court shoes slipped off, stumblings at Gucci and yesterday's Pucci model who fell and cut her knee. Eek! That's a lot of potentially sprained ankles... So we've spent all evening musing on the following: A.) are these heels just pointless as the audience spends more time worrying whether ‘Will she, wont she tumble' rather than looking at the clothes? B.) Is a six inch stacked platform just plain dangerous? C.) Can even hardcore heels fans (like us) negotiate even an office workspace in skyscraper heels? And on a fun note, we've had a dig around for the five most famous topples in fashion. After all, as Naomi Campbell said after her fall: ‘It didn't do me so badly. I made a commercial out of that, an insurance commercial and a chocolate one.' Hmmm, maybe a Prada plunge can do wonders for a model's career then...
1. Jessica Stam at Chloe AW06 - she totally stacked it, bumped her head on the catwalk but continued to walk and smiled as the audience cheered.
2. Milan Bogolepova at Dior Resort 2007 teetered along tripped, pulled up and the tripped again. Rumours flew - was it the crazy heels or the copious amounts of champers backstage?
3. Eliza Crombez at Proenza Schouler 2007 ended up having to take off her shoes after a fall. Good move, we say.
4. Ikeline Stange at Marc Jacobs SS07 took her heels off too, she claimed the catwalk was just too slippery for them!
5. Karen Elson at Zac Posen AW08 dived to the catwalk in a ball gown and mickey mouse ears and was given a helping hand from P Diddy. Bizarre!
- Hannah Almassi