Gloria Steinem is many things: journalist, activist, the "face" and (uncontested) "Mother" of (second wave) feminism, the founder of legendary Ms. Magazine and witty as they come. She paved the way for our social, political, physical and vocal revolution from the late sixties - and did it hiliariously. So, on the day of her 80th birthday, we're celebrating her Glori(a)ous years with her best and most memorable quotes.
1) "A liberated woman is one who has sex before marriage and a job after."
2) "I don't breed well in captivity."
3) "So what would happen if suddenly, magically, men could menstruate and women could not?…Street guys would invent slang ('He’s a three-pad man') and 'give fives' on the corner with some exchange like, 'Man you lookin’ good!' 'Yeah, man, I’m on the rag!'
4) "If women are supposed to be less rational and more emotional at the beginning of our menstrual cycle when the female hormone is at its lowest level, then why isn't it logical to say that, in those few days, women behave the most like the way men behave all month long?"
5) "A woman reading Playboy feels a little like a Jew reading a Nazi manual."
6) "On my 70th birthday I was going to get a tramp stamp."
7) "A pedestal is as much a prison as any small, confined space."
8) "Someone asked me why women don't gamble as much as men do, and I gave the commonsensical reply that we don't have as much money. That was a true and incomplete answer. In fact, women's total instinct for gambling is satisfied by marriage."
9) "If the shoe doesn't fit, must we change the foot?"
10) "The truth will set you free, but first it will piss you off."
Happy Birthday, Gloria. Here's to many more...