Who is the real Prince Harry? We only ask because today, back from a four-month tour based at Camp Bastion, Harry has given a rather candid interview to the press in which he claims there are in fact ‘three’ of him: ‘one in the army, one socially in my own private time, and then one with the family and stuff like that', adding: 'there is a switch and I flick it when necessary.’ Nice analogy, HRH.
While you try to work that one out, here are 19 things we’ve learned about Captain Wales from the interview…
1. He’s sorry about what happened in Vegas
‘At the end of the day I probably let myself down, I let my family down, I let other people down’
2. But more sorry that said events didn’t stay in Vegas
‘But at the end of the day I was in a private area and there should have been a certain amount of privacy that one should expect'
3. Because in his eyes, he’s just a normal lad
‘I'm one of the guys, I don't get treated any differently'
4. However to everyone else he is… CAPTAIN WALES
‘everyone has a good old gawp’ in the canteen
5. It’s not their fault, though
'Because there's plenty of guys in there that have never met me, therefore look at me as Prince Harry and not as Captain Wales, which is frustrating'
6. Although you can’t blame them if he doesn’t know what a canteen/kitchen is
‘I go into the cookhouse’
7. Still, he wants you to know just how normal life in the desert really is
‘it's completely normal’
8. … sometimes, it’s actually pretty dull
‘It is a weird reality, being stuck in Bastion. For me, I hate it, being stuck here'
9. And sometimes Camp Bastion really sucks
‘It is a pain in the arse being stuck in Bastion’
10. Still, he’s a ‘glass-half-full’ kind of guy
‘But then again, I get to fly [an Apache helicopter], so it comes with pros and cons’
11. But that doesn't mean it’s not kind of dull in Afghanistan. Did he mention it was dull?
‘We're stuck playing PlayStation in a tent full of men’
12. Army aside, he's a family guy, and is pretty excited about becoming an uncle to William and Kate’s baby
‘Obviously I'm thrilled for both of them’
13. Although he was kind of bored of waiting for Kate to get pregnant
‘It's about time’
14. Most of all, the royal baby has given him some pretty firm thoughts on privacy
‘I just only hope that she and him - but mainly Catherine - hopefully that she gets the necessary protection to allow her as a mother-to-be to enjoy the privacy that that comes with.’
15. And subsequently, privacy remains one of his key bugbears with the media
‘whenever anybody sees me they presume that I'm off gallivanting around’
15. But that’s none of your business, so moving on: he was also never terribly good at school
‘Exams were always a nightmare, but anything like kicking a ball around or playing PlayStation - or flying - I do generally find a little bit easier than walking, sometimes’
16. But what price a pilot’s licence?
‘I probably should have done a lot more reading, but I was fine at flying’
17. Especially when what you lack academically, you can make up for in computer games
‘You can ask the guys, I thrash them at Fifa the whole time’
18. Because the good thing about playing on the Playstation is that it’s taught him to react quickly
‘It's a joy for me because I'm one of those people who loves playing PlayStation and Xbox, so with my thumbs I like to think that I'm probably quite useful’
19. Not that he compares computer games to warfare or anything
‘If there's people trying to do bad stuff to our guys, then we'll take them out of the game.’
N.B. This morning, the Ministry of Defence announced a third round of Army job cuts. It's thought as many as 5300 jobs will go. It's thought Prince Harry is not one of them.