What better way to celebrate your birthday than by bagging a role in a Hollywood movie right from under the nose of Rihanna. Yep, Rita Ora sure is having a happy 22nd birthday today as she’s rumoured to be starring in the blockbuster franchise The Fast And The Furious 6 alongside Vin Diesel and The Rock. Yes, they’re making a sixth film. We don’t know much about the plot other than that Rita is apparently playing a villain – we can so see her as a bad gal – and that it’s likely to feature cars and fast ones at that.
But it seems one nose might have been put slightly out of joint. A source told The Sun, ‘Rihanna impressed movie bosses with her role in Battleship. But schedules didn’t work out and Rita really shone during castings. They loved her look and her attitude.’
It's not escaped our attention that Rita and Ri-Ri are sharing more than just manager Jay-Z as we reported recently that Rita's style is certainly evolving in RiRi's direction... ‘At first Rihanna thought Rita’s ‘copycat’ act was sweet. But she kicked off after seeing the red dress Rita wore to the VMAs. The umbrella prop annoyed her too.’
Rihanna has said that as an actress she wants to try playing different roles and she got to rock out her feisty side in Battleship. Speaking of which, how many singers HAVE succeeded on the silver screen? Let's review five of our favourite singers-turned-actresses...
1. Whitney Houston in The Bodyguard found the silver lining to being stalked by falling head over heels for her protector Kevin Costner *sigh*.
2. Taylor Swift was hoping for her very own love story in Valentines Day, crushing on a werewolf aka Taylor Lautner.
3. We loved Beyonce’s hilarious cameo in Austin Powers in Goldmember as Foxxy Cleopatra *snap* but she won hands down as the leading lady in Dreamgirls.
4. Hot on the heels of her chart reign, former mouseketeer Britney Spears starred alongside Zoe Saldana – yes, we’d totally forgotten she was in it too – in Crossroads. Ironically, Britney took a wrong turn shortly after this movie before winding up on the path most travelled by former pop stars, the X Factor USA.
5. Once again fuelling our love-hate relationship for denim cut-offs, how can we forget Jessica Simpson’s Daisy in The Dukes of Hazzard? Guilty. Pleasure.