UPDATE: Back in April, sad, sad news landed that Christopher Abbott, aka: Marnie's adorbs boyfriend Charlie, had abruptly left Girls. Rumours surfaced that the actor had clashed with the show's director/producer/writer Lena Dunham because 'he didn’t like the direction things are going in'. Oh dear.
Now the man himself has spoken out about why he quit the hit show. Speaking to The New York Times, Christopher revealed that it was the role, rather than Lena, that he had issues with. 'The world that Lena [Dunham] wrote was very real, especially in New York, but it wasn’t as relatable for me on a personal level,' he confessed.
Rather than a dramatic clash, the article affirms that it was more of a gradual process of realising that his priorities as an actor had shifted. 'It’s not that I only like to play roles I know to a T, but there’s something satisfying about playing parts where you really relate to the characters.'
04 April 2013: Christopher Abbott Quits Girls!
We think our hearts just broke a bit. Why? Because news has just landed that Christopher Abbott — you know, Marnie's boyfriend in Girls — has abruptly left the show.
The New York Post reports that the actor 'began butting heads' with Lena Dunham, the creator and director of the hit HBO show. 'They’ve just started work on Season 3, and Chris is at odds with Lena,' a source says. 'He didn’t like the direction things are going in, which seems a bit odd since the show put him on the map.' Yikes.
Abbott’s rep has confirmed his departure, saying: '[Chris] is grateful for the experience of collaborating with Lena, Judd [Apatow], and the entire Girls cast and crew, but right now he’s working on numerous other projects and has decided not to return to the show.' Noooo!
We are naturally gutted, not least because Charlie is the cutest guy on the show (despite Adam's creepy hotness) and *spoiler alert* has just got things back on track with the glossy-haired Marnie.
So grab a tissue, mop away that tear and pay tribute to all things Charlie with his best moments below... *sob*
1. We first fell in love when he looked like this: all heartbroken and avec buzz cut. We're also OB-sessed with his really cool bed.
2. After their split, Marnie compulsively checks Charlie's Facebook photos. We've all been there, love.
3. Next, he bumped into Marnie at Jessa's wedding and looked seriously slick in a dapper suit. What were you THINKING, Marnie?!
4. Onto the second series and Charlie went all professional on us. Err, yes please.
5. Charlie got a shock at his work party when Marnie sang a rendition of Kanye's Stronger (totes awks).
6. But then he gets laid, in his office, on his desk. So every cloud.
7. And there was this. And now, there'll be no more of this. Why, Christopher, WHY?
Tell us your favourite Charlie moments by commenting below...