We are like, totally obsessed with Girls. And so it seems, is everyone else. So much so in fact that ABC are thinking of making a Girls reality TV show. You know, like with real life people who are like the Girls characters.
According to reports coming from America the network already have one girl lined up to star in the show: Hailey Glassman. Now we didn’t know much about Hailey but she’s already stared in a show called ‘My Life is a Lifetime Movie’, and according to American websites (the font of all knowledge) she epitomizes the upper middle class 20-something trying to make it in New York – hello Hannah. It’s thought that other girls will also be found who’s lives mirror the characters on the TV show.
However, if these new quotes from Lena Dunham, creator, director and star of the show are anything to go by, they may not need bother looking for a Shoshanna. When talking about which character is most likely to be killed off Lena said, ‘I think about it all the time... I don't want to kill Jessa off because it's too obvious. She seems like the person who's going to drive off a cliff or contract a horrible, life-threatening disease through bad behavior - or she's going to eat something weird and get something strange. The implications of Marnie dying would be too insane for Hannah. Which only leaves the option of Shoshanna.’ Nice.
So what could we expect from a real life Girls show?
1. The Girls bathing together… Whilst we’ve never done this with our own friends it could happen in the real life show. When Hannah and Marnie took a bath together (Hannah was eating a cupcake) in the opening scene of the first episode we were a bit like whatttt but hey, if that’s how people live then we want to see it on our TV screens.
2. The hilarious gay guy… Ah, Elijah, Marnie’s ex-boyfriend who came out. We hope there’s a character like him in the show, although he could do with being a little less slap happy. We’d never advocate violence.
3. Drinking opium tea… Well it’s probably cheaper than buying actual heroin. Hannah drank opium tea shortly before going to see her parents. We hope the new Girls characters do the same or they at least have a few glasses of wine.
4. Money worries… Who doesn’t worry about money really? If the new show is to work we want to see people struggling, and we don’t just mean to find somewhere quick to get a manicure a la the real cast of Girls.
5. Having no direction… ‘What can I do with my life?’ this is what we want to hear our new reality TV show castmates saying, does anyone really know what they want to do with their life. Probably not.
6. Awkward sex… One of the central themes of the show seems to be that none of the Girls have a particularly ‘normal’ sex life. Think of poor Hannah and Sandy. Awk.com. Whilst we don’t want to see them actually at it we do want to hear the discussions.
7. Hipster wedding… The only type of wedding to have. Jessa’s nuptials were not only a surprise they were oh-so-hipster. Plus, with all the worrying about money (see number 4) hipster weddings may not be massively stylish. But they are cheap.