A 'real man' brushing his teeth (so annoying)
This morning we chanced upon a rather amusing if unpleasant survey from the good people at Yahoo. Not only did the article’s head - 15 Biggest Beauty Turnoffs from Real Guys - sound like it was plucked from a mag cover circa 1974, but the comments themselves sounded like they came from men also from 1974. In truth, we’d hazard most of the ‘real men’ question weren’t even born in 1974, but we digress.
Here is a small sample of top beauty turn offs from said article:
- "It gets on my nerves when women take too much time on makeup. You would think after a lifetime they would have the process down to less than 45 minutes!"
- "My wife doesn't dye her hair often enough. I don't like to see those dark roots."
- "I don't like extensions because when you put your hands in her hair you can feel all the lumps. It might be good to look at but not to touch."
By this point, some of the ‘real men’ had got carried away, talking about lids and bath salts:
- "They don't put caps back on things or they put it on but they don't screw it on so when I go get something it spills."
- "My wife uses scrubs and bath salts in the tub, and the grains never go down the drain. All that oil makes the bath so slippery."
Oh men how you suffer
After reading the list a selection of ‘beauty turn offs’ written by ‘real men’ presumably as a guide about what not to do in a relationship, as ‘real women’ we thought it only fair to list our top beauty turnoffs. After all, their list was so insightful. Plus, in hindsight, we’re pretty sure our last break-up was sparked by the fact we forgot to put the lid on the Tabasco. Here are some of Grazia’s top beauty turn offs. You’re welcome.
- Untrimmed nose hair. Seriously, the world is awash with mirrors. And if not mirrors, locked smartphones which act as mirrors. How hard is it to cultivate one’s nasal topiary?
- Dry skin on your face. Trufact – male skin is not that dissimilar to women’s skin. It is, after all, skin. So chances are it needs moisturising.
- Not wearing the right deodorant. Or any deodorant. Body spray is not deodorant.
- Nicking your best (and most expensive) shampoo/ conditioner/ moisturiser. Even when you’ve bought them a cheap one to use instead. Last time we checked, you thought Tom Ford was the name of the postman.
- Overly gelled hair. If you’re fortunate enough to have a full head of hair, then let it run free. Selfish.
- Picking feet. First, ewww, and second, can you do it not in our bed?
- Using our hair brush and getting wax on it – but just ‘forgetting’ to tell us. So we end up with surprise wax hair. (See above for our thoughts on gel and wax.)
- Many men are seemingly afraid of the shower. If we don’t say something they're often happy to go a week or so without one. Others face wipes as a waterless shower. Actually.
- Useing mouthwash in place of teeth brusing. Disturbingly common.