We've been waiting with bated breath to see the first trailer for the new Alice in Wonderland film. And this morning it arrived via the wonders of YouTube. From the looks of it the movie will be just as fabulous and fantastical as the scenes we'd imagined when reading the story as kids. Because...
- It's directed by Tim Burton. The man's a twisted genius and it's immediately obvious that this will be a visual riot of wild, weird fun.
- It stars Johnny Depp as the Mad Hatter. For once, he's not exactly looking hot – in white face make-up and a frizzy orange wig – but he's such a great actor he's never exactly needed to rely on his looks now, has he? In the trailer, he's both terrifying and endearing, not to mention amusingly camp. Perfection.
- Burton's partner Helena Bonham Carter – a woman who looks beautifully spooky without even trying – is the Queen of Hearts, her body distorted so that her head seems on the brink of an explosion at all times. In a good way.
- Alice herself is absolutely beautiful – blue dress, gorgeous blonde hair – and looks immediately ravaged when she falls down the rabbit hole.
- Matt Lucas plays both Tweedledum and Tweedledee, who look hilariously like a pair of Weebles.
All that and we haven't even seen Anne Hathaway's White Queen or heard Stephen Fry's Cheshire Cat talk yet. We'll be doing as the white rabbit tells us and running along to cinemas everywhere from 12 March. Next year. Boo.
- Hannah Marriott