Everyone loves Chanel No.5. Fact. Ever since May we’ve been ooh-ing over the news that Brad Pitt is the new face of the fragrance in a ground-breaking take on the ‘beauty muse.’ A man fronting the world’s most famous female scent? Talk about revolutionary! In fact, only last week on the Grazia beauty desk, we brainstormed ten of the key reasons that we love the famous fragrance. Check them out below and see if you agree…
- While we’re pretty sure that each and every one of you has heard of Chanel No. 5, what you might or might not know is that the scent was launched by the French fashion house back in 1920.
- In her own words Coco Chanel said that she wanted to create ‘a woman’s perfume with a woman’s scent,’ because ‘Her scent should be as important as her style of dress.’
- And…added Coco ‘A woman should wear perfume wherever she would like to be kissed.’
- Coco Chanel Called upon nose to the tsars, Ernest Meaux to research and create the scent. He created a bouquet of 80 scents including jasmine, may rose, vetiver, ylang ylang, sandalwood, orange blossom, essence of neroli, Brazilian tonka beans
- Chanel No. 5 received its name because Coco Chanel preferred the 5th sample Ernst gave her. It made the perfumes of the day sound instantly out of date.
- We love its simple, chic laboratory flacon form...
- Catherine Deneuve, Audrey Tatou and Nicole Kidman have been faces of the fragrance throughout the years.
- Chanel No.5 is the best-selling and most known fragrance in the world.
- Chanel recruited Brad Pitt as the first male face of a female fragrance. And how dulcet are his tones? “It’s not a journey – Every journey ends. We go on. The world turns and we turn with it. Plans disappear – Dreams take over. But wherever I go, there you are: My luck. My Fate. My Fortune. Chanel No.5, Inevitable.”
- Marilyn Monroe stated that 'five drops of Chanel No.5' was all she wore to bed. Cheeky!
And talking of Marilyn Monroe – Chanel has today released previously unseen visuals, footage and recordings of the star talking about her relationship with Chanel No. 5, and trust us - it’s pretty incredible. Needless to say we’ve watched it 3 times in the last half hour. We recommend that you do the very same pronto.