There’s nothing more us beauty ladies love than having a good old natter with the clever people behind some of our favourite beauty brands, so you can imagine how excited we were to catch up with the oh-so-wonderful Nina Leykind, founder and creative director of Eyeko. You might have noticed that we’re in the midst of a full-blown Alexa Chung crush this week (the lovely Alexa is this week’s cover-girl) so ahead of Eyeko’s recent collaboration with Miss Chung, we thought this would be a pretty perfect moment for an Alexa-inspired beauty bonanza. Alexa has just unveiled her first limited edition set for Eyeko, available exclusively at Selfridges London. Want to know what we learnt about the brand’s founder, Nina? Read on and learn, ladies…
THE 6 THINGS WE LEARNT ABOUT NINA LEYKIND:
1. She has developed a serious celeb following: The likes of Lisa Eldridge, Mary Greenwell and L’Wren Scott are all huge fans of Eyeko, which certainly says something about the brand’s stellar mascaras and liners.
2. She made it her mission to create the perfect mascara: “We all have that thing that makes us feel confident- for me it’s mascara. Focusing on eyes as a business made a lot of sense to us because there are so many mascaras out there claiming to do so many things, but very few that actually work. My mission was to create the perfect mascara.”
3. She tells us which mascaras are their best-sellers: “Our first mascara- Eyeko Skinny Brush Mascara- is now award-winning and Black Magic is always a sell-out- it's become such a staple for creating the blackest lashes with incredibly chic volume and curl.”
4. She finds inspiration in everything she sees: “Having studied Fine Art I'm naturally immersed in everything visual and I love living in London which is such a hot bed for culture and fashion. Travelling to the US, Asia, Latin America and Europe enables to me to experience so many different fashion and beauty trends.”
5. She loves the 1960s makeup look: “I think the 60’s was full of girl-crushes- think Alexa, Francoise Hardy, Anna Karina, Twiggy and Audrey Hepburn.”
6. She thinks eye trends are the next big thing in beauty: “I think eye make-up as an accessory to fashion- whether it’s colour, graphic lines or false lashes- really is growing and taking over the nail trends that have dominated the catwalks for the last few seasons.”
For more information on Eyeko's amazing new collaboration with Alexa Chung click here. In the meantime, click through our gallery and check out Alexa Chung's best beauty moments- with the odd feline flick or two, of course...