If you're still planning your Halloween party makeover then take a cue from X Factor bookies favourite, Ella Henderson. The contestant rocked a very glamorous beauty look on the spookylicious X Factor Halloween special on Saturday night and we've asked X Factor makeup artist Julia Carta to give us a step-by-step guide to recreating it. From Ella’s glossy talons to her blood-red stained lips, prepare to scare with the 16-year-old singing sensation's Halloween beauty essentials...
1. Preparation is key to get Ella’s skin ready. We exfoliated with the Vita Liberata Superfine Skin Polish (suitable for face and body). This scrub contains superfine jojoba beads to loosen dead cells and smooth the skin surface.
2. We then prepared her skin further with the Vita Liberata Skin Plumping Peptide Mist, which regulates the pH of the skin and used a Vita Liberata illuminator to give the skin a beautiful illumination.
3. I applied the Urban Decay Pore Perfecting Complexion Potion to Ella’s face, giving it time to settle before I applied makeup.
4. I started with eyes and used the Urban Decay Eyeshadow Primer Potion to ensure her makeup lasted. Then I applied a tiny bit of Chanel Vitalumiére Aqua Foundation in beige. I used a light coating of dusting powder to set the foundation.
5. I used the Rimmel Scandaleyes Liner Waterproof Kohl in black in the crease of her eyes to create a 60’s/Black Swan shape. I then swept a blending brush backwards and forward to soften the line. On the base I used the Chanel Illusion D’Ombre in Illusoire. I then used Kryolan glitter in silver to cover that area. On the bottom lash line I used the Chanel Illusion D’Ombre in Illusoire along the lash line and extended it out to merge with the black line and traced along that line with the Kryolan glitter in silver. I applied a set of Eylure lashes and two coats of the Rimmel Glam’Eyes Lash Flirt Mascara top and bottom.
6. I traced Urban Decay 24/7 Glide On Eye Pencil Yeyo (white) inside the waterline to create a wide eyed look. Then I used a black/black eyeshadow from the Urban Decay Naked Palette to smoke out the crease and add more drama.
7. Next I applied the Chanel Vitalumiére Aqua Foundation in beige and concealed and highlighted any imperfections with the Clinique Airbrush Concealer in 01 Fair.
8. To highlight the cheekbones and her browbones I used Rimmel Wake Me Up Instant Radiance Shimmer Touch in Radiant Rose 002. This was followed by setting the foundation with the Chanel Poudre Universelle Libre.
9. Ella had her brows threaded and shaped by Shavata, but I used the Benefit Brow Zings Shaping Kit to further define them.
10. Then I contoured the cheekbones by using the Benefit Hoola Bronzer Power. On the apples of the cheek I used the Rimmel Lasting Finish Soft Colour Blush in Liv Pink.
11. For the lips I used a gorgeous lipstick as a stain called Chanel Rouge Allure Luminous Satin Lip Colour in Passion.
12. Finally Ella had her nails created with Rimmel 60 Seconds Nail Polish in Red Carpet, encrusted with Jinny Rocks red crystal body gems.