Blogger Tanya Burr has previously given us an insight into Natalie Portman's 'simple yet glamorous look' and Blake Lively's boho chic beauty. Now see how she works her magic to recreate Katy Perry's sparkly eye makeup.
How To: Katy Perry's makeup look
I recently uploaded a bright and colourful tutorial of a look that the gorgeous Katy Perry wore to the Grammys. I love how innovative and unique this look is with its bright and contrasting colours all topped off with a lot of sparkle. It may not sound like the most wearable look but all together I think it looks fun and beautiful. Here's how to get the Katy Perry look...
1. Katy's beautiful skin has a matte finish with no highlighting so I used Chanel's Perfection Lumiere to give the skin an even finish. Work this into the skin using a buffing brush to achieve a natural yet flawless finish.
2. Katy's eyebrows are a key feature of her look as they are strong, dark and defined. To get an accurate look use a powder and a brush to allow for ultimate definition. I used MAC's Charcoal Brown and a MAC 266 bush to get a neat finish.
3. Next, Katy has a small amount of light shadow under the brow. I took MAC's Vanilla eye shadow and a blending brush and lightly applied it for a satin highlighted brow bone. Adding a light colour here will help accentuate the brows and the eyes.
4. Now on to the dramatic eyes. I began with using Illamasqua's cream pigment in the colour Dab - a gorgeous light lilac which makes for a great base for the powder shadows to stick to and it also helps to intensify the colour. I simply swept this all across my lid up to the crease with a flat brush and then blended with my finger. I then swept a mixture of MAC's Parfait Amour and Beautiful Iris on the lid to create the perfect Katy Perry purple. After packing on this colour, I then blended it with a MAC 217 brush for a soft and smokey finish.
5. For the under eye, I ran Illamasqua's Vow kohl liner across the waterline - a light creamy colour which I used as a base for wearing shadows on the waterline. For the dramatic and vibrant eye that Katy wears, I then pushed in to the liner MAC's Chrome Yellow shadow which is a perfect colour for this look, it simply sticks to the waterline and I ran a small amount close to the lash line also.
6. Katy has a sparkly mint green running underneath and blended with the bright yellow on the waterline. This goes right into the tear duct and then strongly under the lash line. I opted for MAC's Juxt which is the perfect colour for this look.
7. I then lined my top lash line with MAC's Black Tied and then took MAC's contrast which is a beautiful smokey and sparkly navy colour which I worked into the outer corners and then joined it up with it going slightly under the bottom lash line, again only in the outer corners. This adds extra definition and then marries all the colours together.
8. Glitter is central to this look! I used MAC's Reflex Pearl glitter which is gorgeous and super glittery. I packed this all over the top of the lid and then also put a small amount under the lash line too for extra sparkle.
9. I then used lashings of Maybelline's The Falsies Mascara and completed the eye by using MAC's no.2 false lashes for a defined and dramatic look. The eyes are now complete!
10. I then concealed under the eyes with MAC's Studio Sculpt concealer and used Rimmel's Stay Matte powder as Katy's skin had a powdered and matte finish especially through the centre of her skin.
11. For the cheeks I used Topshop's Primetime cream to powder blush which is absolutely perfect for this look as it is a bright and vibrant pink and has a gorgeous finish with great staying powder. I simply worked this into the apples of my cheeks with a brush for a gorgeous glow and this is all Katy wore on her cheeks making the skin look porcelain.
12. The last step is achieving Katy's full and bubblegum pink lips. I used In Anticipation lip liner from MAC to define the lip and then used MAC's Chatterbox lipstick to fill them in which is the perfect candyfloss pink often seen on Katy.
And there you go - a really fun and unique classically Katy Perry look! I hope you enjoy recreating this as much as I did!