Today, during Lauren's holiday, Grazia Daily Nail has been invaded by the very capable hands (geddit?) of Wan L of the blog ilovenailpolish.blogspot.com!
The nautical trend has been very popular this summer. From the runway to the street, anchors, stripes, and the marine colours such as red, white and blue have been spotted everywhere. If you would like to embrace the trend but do not want to overdo it, you can keep it subtle by wearing it on your nails!
Here are two simple ways to embrace the trend on your nails. These nail art designs are perfect ways to accessorize your outfits; moreover, they are much more unique than the usual painted manicures. I’ve also included step-by-step tutorials so that you can re-create the designs at home. =)
I really love how the colours “pop” in this design; the three colours complement each other very well. You will need a red, blue, and white nail polish to re-create this look. I used OPI Big Apple Red, OPI Dating a Royal, and OPI Alpine Snow for this design.
Here are the step-by-step tutorials to re-create the look:
- Paint your nails with a white creme polish.
- Next, using a striping brush and some red nail polish, paint two horizontal stripes across your nails.
- Then, carefully line your smile line with some blue nail polish.
- Lastly, glue on some gold sequins at both ends of the red stripes. Gold nail polish can also be used as an alternative, just simply paint the design on with a dotting tool.
And here’s a tutorial on how to draw the anchor for the design on your middle finger.
- Paint your nail with a blue nail polish.
- Using a dotting tool or striping brush and white nail polish, roughly outline the shape of an anchor. It does not have to be perfect as you can always fix your mistakes in the next step.
- Finally, carefully fill in the outline with white nail polish and a striping brush.
If you find the design above a little tricky, here is a simpler one that requires fewer steps.
All you need is a white creme polish and a blue glitter polish. You can also include a blue creme polish as well but it is optional. I used Essie Marshmallow, China Glaze Dorothy Who?, and OPI Dating a Royal for this design.
Here are the step-by-step tutorials to recreate the look:
- Paint your nails with a white creme base.
- Then, paint two horizontal stripes across your nails, one with a blue glitter and the other one with a blue creme (optional) OR you can always paint both of them with the glitter. =)
- Paint your nail with a blue glitter polish.
- Then, paint an anchor on with white nail polish, just simply follow the steps in the tutorial shown above for the first design.
I hope you like the two nautical manicure designs! As various forms of nail art have been increasing in popularity, these two looks are chic and easy ways to embellish up your wardrobe!
Wan L, the blogger behind ilovenailpolish