As the second weekend of Coachella draws to a close, we've discerned the two biggest trends from this year’s edition of the world’s chicest fashion festival. But rather than wearing a particular It Bag or a following a hot new designer tribe, 2013’s Coachellettes fall into roughly two camps. The first unite a selection of models, actresses and musicians who have studied Coachella’s past fashion form, noted the key components of the Indio uniform and purchased their entire look for the festival in one fell swoop. The second have failed to be hypnotized by the peculiar effects of the Cali sunshine and managed to avoid becoming Coachella Clichés by staying true to their signature style. Read on and click through the gallery above to sort the Individuals from the Clichés.
☆ The Coachella Cliches ☆
So what makes a Coachella cliché? The first sign is that said festival goer has gone bonkers for boho. Usually it is evident that boho style does not normally feature in the Coachella Cliché’s wardrobe, but he or she has instead dressed up as a ‘bohemian’, similar to how one dresses as a ‘witch’ for Halloween. True bohemian babes curate their global traveller look over years, picking up one of kind pieces in far flung destinations and paring them with vintage designer finds. The Coachella Cliché contrastingly buys all her pieces in bulk and wears them all at once. Like the idea of a fringed jacket? Why not match it with a fringed bag, more silver jewellery than you can carry and a pair of cowboy boots. And a tiara and/or floral headdress.
Who are the Coachella Cliches of 2013?
1. Vanessa Hudgens – the boho mania was concerning, the sunflower inaccusable.
2. The Hilton Sisters – Neon tie dye maxis matched with Birkins - pas chic.
3. Alessandra Ambrosio – Proving that even supermodels have a problem knowing where to stop when it comes to accessorizing.
☆ The Coachella Individuals ☆
The CI is much more into adapting her regular wardrobe for the fields of Coachella. This means there is generally more of an urban and modern vibe to the look. From simple t-shirt dresses to buttoned up shirts and sleeveless tops paired with cut off shorts, you could imagine the CI hanging at a cool East End market or sitting in a pub beer garden. The CI might make a small concession to boho - say a fringed mini bag, but she wouldn't seen dead in head to toe Coachella costume.
Who are the Coachella Individuals of 2013?
1. Alexa Chung - Obviously la Chung has some serious fashion chops, but her cool Coachella ensembles reminded us why we love her so much.
2. Kate Bosworth - In her simple Topshop laser cut two piece, Kate looked weather appropriate but chic - and not a feather earring in sight.
3. Solange Knowles - Ms Knowles isnt the kind of girl to let a dodgy dress code ruin her style. Note her chic, simple summer sundress.
For a full run down of all the best Coachella fashion and an insider look into the festival, make sure you pick up a copy of Grazia, hot off the press tomorrow or alternatively download the Grazia iPad edition tout suite!