How To Master The French Braid
As I write this, the Grazia beauty desk are tucking into two varieties of Percy Pigs, some millionaires shortbread and are already thinking about what’s for dinner. It’s safe to say that we’re all massive foodies (and partial to the odd sweet treat, too), so we were seriously excited to chat to nutritionist extraordinaire Madeleine Shaw, whose infamous 6-week no-sugar detox promises impressive results- improved energy and glowing skin to name a few.
What’s more, Millie Mackintosh and Caggie Dunlop are both huge fans of Madeleine’s sans sugar lifestyle, which focuses on natural, fresh wholefoods. We just couldn’t wait to chat to the gorgeous Madeleine who revealed to us her top tips for clean living and glowing skin. Read on and learn, ladies…
Madeleine whisked us up a berry, avocado and coconut smoothie- yummy!
1. Be Prepared- After a long day at work, sometimes the last thing you feel like doing is cooking, even though you know that Chinese takeaway really isn’t going to give you the goodness your body needs when it’s stressed and tired. Madeleine’s advice? Things like smoked salmon, smoked mackerel and a rotisserie chicken can all be bought ahead, kept in the fridge, and are easy to whip into a tasty supper, along with a bag of salad. Madeleine also told us she’s a big fan of eggs and loves making omelettes, throwing in whatever’s in the fridge.
2. Buy In Bulk- We really do understand that it can be hard eating well on a budget, but Miss Shaw swears it’s easier than you think. “I tend to buy in bulk, especially things like almonds, and I get all my meat from Field and Flower (an organic online delivery service) which is actually cheaper than most of the meat in the supermarket!”
3. Not All Fruit Is Good- Although deemed healthy, not all fruit is as good for you as you think, Madeleine explained. Her low-sugar lifestyle recommends limiting consumption of high-sugar fruits like mango, pineapple and melon to just once a week, although fruits like berries, green apples and grapefruit have the green light as they release sugar more slowly into the bloodstream.
4. Get Off the Low-Fat Wagon! In Madeleine’s eyes, anything labelled as low-fat is a serious danger zone: “When they take out the fat, they often replace it with sugar, which ends up spiking your insulin levels (the fat storage hormone).” What’s more, the fructose in so-called ‘low-fat’ products turns to fat in our systems, so load your trolley with full fat/whole milk and yoghurt, which will make you feel fuller and more satisfied. As Madeleine explains, you could eat 10 Muller Light yoghurts and probably only stomach 1-2 Greek yoghurts…
5. Her Organic Beauty Must-Haves- Whilst the blonde beauty was living out in Australia, she came across EcoTan, an organic Aussie brand, which she swears by for a natural-looking fake tan. Madeleine also loves Pai’s Rosehip Bioregenerate Oil, £20, Burts Bees Pomegranate lip balm, £3.70 and Inikia’s Mineral Illuminator, £17. Get the glow, indeed!
6. She Loves Coconut Oil- “Coconut oil is so good for you” gushes Madeleine, who uses this for everything, literally- frying a steak, taming pesky flyaways, roasting a chicken, and even to remove stubborn eye make-up!
7. Rum is Gluten-Free- Believe it or not, rum is gluten free, and when combined with some fresh lime, mint and soda transforms into a delicious cocktail! “We’re all human” Madeleine said, and a glass of good red wine now and then never harmed anyone. The same goes for chocolate, but try and stick to 70% cocoa if you can.
Madeleine Shaw has teamed up with new and improved Sure Compressed deodorant to help women improve their fitness and nutrition this summer. Find out more at surewomen.co.uk
Madeleine helped the MIC babes to go clean- check out their amazing skin!
For more information, visit www.madeleineshaw.com
You May Also Like
How To Master The French Braid
7 Ways To Use Coconut Oil
WIN ELEMIS Spa Treatments Worth Over £375